Access Keys:

Skip main menu

Cumbria Floods - Advice for Businesses

Business and commercial premises

  • If the premises have been flooded or water damage the electrical/gas installation should be checked by a competent person prior to reconnection;

  • Any electrical plant machinery equipment which has been affected should not be used unless checked and verified safe by a competent person;

  • If the heating system for the premises is affected it should be checked by a competent person before being brought back into use;

  • If you have portable heaters, space heaters etc to dry out your premises, ensure that they are positioned in well ventilated areas away from combustible materials;

  • If the premises is provided with a fire safety system such as fire alarms or emergency lighting systems, we recommend that they are checked and tested by a competent engineer prior to the occupation of the premises;

  • If you have hazardous materials or substances on your premises which have been affected by water, you should seek specialist advice prior to disposal;

  • To avoid the threat of arson, you should ensure that your premises are secure if unoccupied. We would also advise that where damaged goods, equipment etc are removed, that they are stored away from any building in a secure place or in a secured skip;

  • Prior to re-occupation of your premises we would advise that a risk assessment is reviewed or undertaken to ensure the safety of all employees in your workplace. You should also check your fire exits and escape routes to ensure that they can be used prior to occupation;

  • If your premises has structural damage which may be a danger as a result of flooding or storm damage, you should contact your local authority prior to occupation. 

  • If you have any fire safety concerns, please do not hesitate to contact your local Fire Safety Department.

United Utilities

Water bills are being suspended for customers who have been forced from their premises, businesses should contact 0345 072 6072. Customers will need to supply a temporary address along with the flooded address. For any water or wastewater issues, call 0345 6723 723.

Cumbria Chamber of Commerce

If your business has been affected by the December floods then we're here to help. The experienced Chamber team has helped Cumbrian businesses through Foot & Mouth, the 2005 Floods and the 2009 Floods. 

Whether you've been flooded directly or are affected indirectly (for example through staff evacuations or your supply chain), download our Business Continuity Checklist for a list things to think about and do immediately and see our Business Recovery Toolkit for more information to support your
Advisers are available, free of charge, to help you deal with the immediate impact and through the recovery process - call 0844 257 8450 or email

It is important for all businesses to complete the following business impact survey to ensure information is captured for distribution of Government funding Flood-affected businesses may be eligible for between £ 3,000-10,000 of a £ 5million Government flood recovery fund, to help resume trading, apply here
Download a Business Continuity Checklist and Recovery Toolkit here .Advisers are available free of charge to help with the recovery and funding process - call 0844 257 8450 or email

Time to pay

This scheme allows affected businesses additional time to pay taxes to HMRC, including VAT, PAYE and corporation tax. For further details contact the HMRC hotline on 0800 904 7900, set up for those who have been affected by flooding and may have difficulties in meeting their tax liabilities. To apply to the Time To Pay Scheme call 0300 200 3835 and discuss with an adviser.

Federation of Small Businesses

For Members: for insurance related issues, irrespective of being a policy-holder, contact FSB Insurance on 0345 762 6158. Contact the Legal Advice Line on 03450 727 727 for any legal aspects to the flood and clean-up. Our legal documents section of the website also has useful support (log-in required)

For Non- Members: call FSB Insurance Advice Line on 03450 727 727 and speak to Steve Dawson. For employment support: contact Brian Harrison on or 01539 730382
For practical support: contact Paul Foster on or 07917 628909.

Cumbria Tourism

Working with FSB to ensure the impact of the tourism sector is fully captured, and assisted with Government financial support. Please complete it here:

Helpful guidance and updates on the floods are here A helpline is available for affected businesses, contact 01539 822222 or

Helpful telephone numbers

Offers of free print and radio advertising to support flood affected businesses have been made by Bay Radio. Contact or 01524 848747
Lakeland Radio contact   Windermere Now (LA22 and LA23 businesses, contact 

Age Concern
Northwest 01946 66669
South Lakeland 01539 728180

Association of British Insurers (ABI)
Advice and guidance including details on accessing flood insurance, preparing for and recovering from flooding, and some useful videos and webinars. Visit

Allerdale Borough Council
Tel: 01900 702702
Floodline: 01900 702600
Environmental Health 01900 702590
Pollution (blocked drains etc),
01900 702580
Refuse Collection (flood damaged/
freezers etc), 01900 702800

Barrow Borough Council 01229 876543

B&J Metals
Various skip sizes available. Commercial, food waste collections. Hiab and driver available for larger items. Speak to John on 01539 729508.

Carlisle City Council 01228 8172900

Children and Families Information Service
08457 125 737
For anyone experiencing problems with childcare or early
education due to the floods.

Citizens Advice Bureau
Carlisle 01228 633909
Cockermouth 01900 604735
Kendal 015394 46464
Keswick 01900 604735
Maryport 01900 604735
Penrith 01768 891503
Ulverston 015394 46464
Whitehaven 01946 693321
Wigton 01900 702890
Windermere 015394 46464
Workington 01900 604735

Consumer direct including any calls about bogus
tradesman 08454 040506

Copeland Borough Council 01946 598300

Cumbria Chamber of Commerce
(business advice) 0844 2578450

Cumbria Community Foundation 01900 825760

Cumbria County Council 01228 606060

Cumbria Flood Recovery Fund (for employees):
Initial hardship grants of £ 500 can be applied for by completing the online application form

Cumbria Police - Anyone with any concerns regarding their affected business or premises such as crime prevention can contact Cumbria Police on the non-emergency number 101.

Cumbria Waste - Carlisle office 0845 241 3333, or Mark Wilson (South Lakes) 07557 923918. Available for electrical good collection and food waste. Skips are currently unavailable.

Cockermouth Churches Together

01900 829926

Cumbria Law Centre 01228 515129



Department of Work and Pensions
0845 6043719

ScrewFix 0500 41 41 41.

Derwent and Solway Housing
01900 607500

Eden District Council  01768 817817

Electricity North West
Emergency Contact 0800 195 4141 or email
tweet @ElectricityNW

Environment Agency
Advice, floodline 0845 9881188
Graham McKee 07768 904816 or 0870 8506506

Farming Recovery Fund
Details have been released, up to £ 20,000 can be claimed to help restore damaged agricultural land, please call DEFRA Rural Services helpline on 03000 200 301.

0750 2311 452

Floodline 0845 988 1188

Gas Safe Register (gas safety advice and registered local
engineers) 0800 408 5500

Central Power Services Ltd 0199 564 2600 or 0845 437 9750.
Generator Power 01924 220055 or 0845 601 2187. Gibsons 01539 721721.

Highways 0845 6096609

Impact Housing 03448 736290

L&W Wilson
Dumper trucks, 3, 5 and 8-tonne excavators with rubber tracks, rubber duck (wheeled, drivable excavators) for access to hard to reach areas. Contact Alan Wilson on 015396 67601.

Metcalfe Brothers (015396 20996) and Chaplows (01539 720358) - Industrial strength road sweepers available

National Flood Forum
01229 403101/01229 403055

NHS Direct 111

Police 101

Prescription help and advice
NHS Direct 111

Hartley Hire - Beezon Road, Kendal 01539 741919, Windermere 015394 45406.

Red Cross
0191 273 7560 / 07623 544525

RSPCA 0300 1234 999

Rural Wheels 0845 602 3786

Samaritans UK Wide 116 123

Social Services Mental Health Team South Lakeland
- 01539 713377

South Lakeland District Council 0845 0504434

South Lakes Housing
0845 057 0080

Spirit of Cumbria (Community offers):
Online Forum for community help requests and offers of help. Set up by CN Media, please visit

(gas leaks) 0800 111999

Traveline - 0871 200 2233

United Utilities (electricity) - 0345 6723723

Victim Support 0300 3030157

Carlisle 01228 5870590

Police Workington 01900 63290

Police Whitehaven 01946 66207

Kendal 01539 739248

Volunteering help 01900 826505

Voluntary Car Scheme 07788 396194

Cumbria County Council - waste support line for SMEs affected by the flooding and without insurances or commercial waste carrier, call 0845 055 1118 for assistance.

- 01228 524508