Category 1 responders
Category 1 responders are those organisations at the core of the response. Category 1 responders are subject to the full set of civil protection duties.
Category 2 responders
Category 2 responders are the "co-operating bodies" that are less likely to be involved in the core planning work but may be heavily involved in incidents.
Other supporting organisations
• British Red Cross
• Age Uk
• Salvation Army
• St John Ambulance
• Volunteer England
• Victim Support
• Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)
• CVS - Community Partnerships
• Cabinet Office - UK Resilience
Meeting the needs of those affected by an emergency
• British Red Cross - How to prepare for emergencies
The pages in this section provide information on the simple precautions that can be taken to prepare for a range of emergency situations, along with advice on how to cope when they do.
• Disaster Action
They offer support and information for the bereaved and survivors of major disasters that occur in the UK and overseas
• Cabinet Office - Business Continuity
• Direct Gov
• Business Continuity Institute
• Continuity Central
• Federation of Small Businesses
• Security Service MI5
• The Civil Contingencies Secretariat Business Continuity Toolkit
• Cabinet Office - Civil Contingencies - Useful Links
• BBC Connecting in a Crisis
Connecting in a Crisis' is an initiative by the BBC to help ensure that the public has the information it needs and demands during a civil emergency.